Since my last update, I’ve been working on a further couple of items of rolling stock. In particular the ex SR unfitted van, and more recently, an ex PO unfitted wagon.
The ex PO wagon’s first modification was the painting of the interior (the factory finish was a sort of maroon/brown colour). I then began work on the body side, with various washes before moving on to the under frame. I finished off with some variation in powder colour on the under frame.
I have to say, working on rolling stock has been a real eye opener. Most of my weathering has been focused on locomotives and coaches. Possibly through naivety (or ignorance) I thought I could transfer my skill base straight over without any problems….. it hasn’t been that simple. I’ve found that wagons have a required a bit more thought, and variation to achieve the desired results. I probably spent longer on that open, than I have on some of my own locomotives. It’s fair to say Ian Fleming’s Windcutter Blog has been a great source of inspiration and help. In my opinion Ian’s work on wagons is up their with the likes of Geoff Kent. Ian has achieved a very naturalistic look with his models (the rusty 16Ts are a thing of beauty) and if I can achieve a fraction of that look and texture, I’ll be a happy man. Plenty more RTR wagons to be working on (plus some kits I’ll be picking up at York Show), but my attention will be turning shortly to that item of GWR rolling stock which is just as familiar as the 0-6-0 Pannier Tank….the humble GWR Toad Brake Van. The Toad I shall be working on is the Bachmann model (ex Mainline I believe). I’ll be making some minor modifications to depict this as an alternative diagram, along with a repaint and custom made transfers (courtesy of Nick Davies). Meanwhile, Andy Jones is give me a great amount of help planning Cwm Prysor. I’m intending to order the baseboards at the beginning of April.