This wasn’t what was originally planned as an entry today. Instead I was going to be doing the follow up post to the visit to Wales, and location spotting for the Cwm Prysor extension. I’ll do an entry on that later in the week.
In the meantime, I recently visited Mr Tony Wright for some more tuition, this time on making the under frame for my Comet Kit, E147 Brake Composite. The task in hand wasn’t exactly difficult, but I felt better having someone keep an eye on me, and help where it was needed. Tony formed one side of the sole bars, and I did the other. Tony made up the bogies to save time but we did discover the supports were not long enough and therefore the bogie was interfering with the sole bars. Tony made up some makeshift padding from old plastic bogies, which solved the problem.
Tony marked out the first couple of holes for the ventilators and I did the rest. Below is how she looked at the end of the day.
Since then, I’ve added the buffer beam, buffers and masokit screw links. I’ll be adding the ventilators shortly before adding the under frame detail and interior.
It’s very rewarding to have a Collett Brake Composite for the layout, as they made up most of the passenger trains on the Bala-Blaenau Branch. It’s also rather nice that one coach, makes one train! 😉